Sunday, May 2, 2010

4/22

We headed to the Termini Train Station by way of metro and then took a train to the airport. We were hoping the train would be a cheaper mode of transportation that the private van but it turned out to be more expensive! We got to the airport and home, pretty exhausted of course!

I got home just in time to catch the tail end of lunch (3 pm) which was good because I was very hungry. I was excited about Feria and wanted to check it out, but everyone was wanting to sleep and relax because we had stayed out the entire night before. I spent the day relaxing and showering and getting a few things done.

Around 7 pm I met up with some girls who are in my Historical Memory of America class. We went to our Professor Manuel's caseta! It was so much fun that when 9:30 rolled around and I needed to go home for dinner I didn't want to!! Manuel is so welcoming and we were having a good time with him.


Professor Manuel bought pitchers of rebujito, the typical Spanish drink of Feria, for us. It is made up of Manzanilla, a white whine of Jerez, and 7 up. He also bought us plates of tapas like Jamon Iberico (Iberian Ham), tortilla espanola, and pan y picos (cracker things).


I got some good pictures of Manuel dancing Sevillana (a type of Flamenco specific to the Sevilla area with certain songs as well). Finally two other girls and I headed home for dinner.


Tonight I evaded the so called "cuadrados del diablo" (squares of the devil) or at least that is what everyone in my residencia calls them! They are fried squares of ham and cheese, and nobody likes them but I eat them with a lot of ketchup. I'm fine with them, but I much preferred the giant salad with tuna that I got instead since I was late! After I ate i went up to Fatima's room. She is from Cadiz so she knows all the Sevillana dances. I went with her to meet up with her friends at a public caseta. They taught me how to dance Sevillana which was a blast! I didn't even notice the time pass and finally around 5:30 am we headed home.

Fatima is in the middle of the picture. A lot of flamenco is in the movement of the hands as you can see!

The portada at night, all lit up! This portada has been in construction almost since the time that i arrived in Sevilla. The Sevillans make it very elaborate and it takes a long time to construct.

No comments:

Post a Comment